Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Histamine and Allergies

Histamine can dilate blood vessels to bring more blood flow and white blood cells to local areas, which causes rashes, redness, heat, and pain. This process can help the body clear up damaged tissues or can lead to chronic inflammation or allergies if too much histamine is released for too long. An allergy is an abnormal, acquired sensitivity to certain substances including pollen, drugs, and numerous environmental triggers. Type I hypersensitivity is characterized by the excessive activation of mast cells and basophiles by a kind of antibody called IgE, triggering a systemic inflammatory response that can result in symptoms as benign as a runny nose or as life-threatening as anaphylactic shock and death.
It has been shown that cells that produce histamine have the most wakefulness-related firing-patterns of any neurons so far recorded. They fire rapidly during waking hours, fire more slowly during periods of relaxation or tiredness, and completely stop firing during REM and non-REM sleep. Firing of histamine-producing cells is recorded just before an animal shows signs of waking. That is why if a person does not sleep enough, he/she will produce more histamine in the body. Abnormally higher histamine level in the body can lead to chronic allergies and inflammation.
Certain kinds of drink and food can also induce higher levels of histamine such as spoiled fish and red wine. So if you have allergic reactions right now, it is wise to avoid seafood and red wine until your allergy clears up. If you have an acute injury and your body tries to clear up the damaged tissue by releasing more histamine, you may rest more than you usually do. In that way, your body will not produce too much histamine to cause chronic inflammation.
Many histamine releasing cells can be sensitized by estrogen. When women are close to menopause, their progesterone level drops dramatically and their estrogen level fluctuates, creating the condition called estrogen dominance. Estrogen dominance can also be caused by high sugar intake, non-ovulation cycles, too much coffee, obesity, environmental pollution, alcoholism, and post-partum hormone changes. That is why women tend to develop different kinds of allergies and autoimmune diseases during their periods of hormone changes such as puberty, pregnancy, or menopause if the histamine level is too high.

7 comments:

  1. Wow For the first time I'm reading something that makes sense about the hives I've had daily for over a year and some other symptoms. Can you tell me more or send me links that can help me understand more and get rid of the hives once and for all. Need to get my life and heath back asap. Thank you. Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article!! I have autoimmune Lichen Sclerosis and it flares up mid-cycle and just before menses! Also,during these time, I have trouble sleeping! makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! You have really allured me; I have no words to explain my feelings about your post. muscle growth supplements

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know histamine is causing my tenitus and inflamed sinuses. I am currently on a gut healing and histamine lowering diet. Now thanks to your post I understand why my ears are so much quieter at night (unless I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me). I am seeing an acupuncturist tomorrow. Do you think he can help me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. two years ago i got hiv virus .... which i have spent a lot of money to get a ride of, so few month a ago a friend introduce me to a natural herbalist healer...... who prepare me a natural herbal treatment which i only took within the period of 3 weeks and i got cured totally without any bad effect ...contact Dr Idahosa via email: dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com or his whatsApp contact +2348134261542

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!!Thanks for sharing it with us....really needed.At Dr. Park Acupuncture we not only treat the symptoms, but also work with you to identify and treat the root cause of the symptoms.
    Acupuncture in Columbia MD

    ReplyDelete

  7. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete